Friday, April 5, 2013

Turning 29: part I



I stumbled upon a little list the other day that made me think about my upcoming birthday.  I am very prepared for turning 29, since last year I wept all day about it before being gently reminded by my husband that I actually had only turned 28.  {Eeks, I am already losing my grip on numbers!  But I considered my error such a gift.  Not every one gets an extra year. :)}

As I am *officially entering the last year of my twenties, I feel less of the nostalgia and panic that I had during the false alarm.  I think I mildly experienced a quarter-life crisis, and for those who think I jest: it's a thing.  It may mean different things for different people, but for me it was simply anxiety over time I would never have again.  I was in a state of mourning for relationships, experiences, and opportunities that were gone forever.

This feeling lasted about a week.  It ended naturally, without any prodding or pep-talks.  But it did leave me convinced that I needed to be spending my time more purposefully.  I want to be able to have vivid and proud memories, especially of how I capture moments with my children.  And like any discipline this is hard, hard, hard.  "Do not become weary in well doing," the Scripture says.  Well, well-doing is the weary-est.  Or maybe it just reminds me of how lazy I really am, especially when it comes to conversation-making and relationship-building.  At any rate, I really enjoyed this little list in preparation for next year... I would really like to "have it together" when I turn 30.  Here's hoping. :)


By 30, you should have:

1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come.  I can honestly say the only one for me in my quite short dating career, I kept.  I do know that I learned something from each of my romances that helped me know he was the right one.  I also am very thankful that the Lord did not allow me to get stuck with my first crush, that I prayed so earnestly would look my way.  Or my second.  Or third, for that matter. {I was a little boy-crazy}

2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family.  Check.  Although, I do prefer things that are a little worn in.

3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.  Check.

4. A purse, a suitcase and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying.  Oh dear, this is where I confess that I have always been anti-umbrella for reasons I cannot explain.  It's just one more thing to remember, a little rain never hurt anyone, I 've always been afraid of pinching my fingers when closing one, etc.

5. A youth you’re content to move beyond.  A definite yes to this one.  I wish I could have days that were really care-free, I wish I had another week with my sweet horse and sheep who were the dearest friends.  I certainly wish I could eat my mom's cooking every night {and not gain a pound}... but I do love my life today so much better than the old one.

6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age.  I struggle with how to answer this.  Let's just say, I do have some funny stories, and some courageous ones, and some words of caution as well.

7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age—and some money set aside to help fund it.  I have always been an old soul, and frankly feel my best years are the ones I haven't grown into yet.  And yes, we already have a little nest egg for those days.

8. An e-mail address, a voice mailbox and a bank account—all of which nobody has access to but you.  Check.

9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded.  Maybe a wee bit out of date.  The glorious thing about my tiny career though is that it is quite forgiving if you can prove you still know your stuff.  I was offered a job at a dentist office in our last residency simply by telling the man I had a small cavity on the distal of #13.  I know, I was showing off a little.

10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry.  I know it is sort of weird, but my mom and grandma fill these parts of my life.  And I wouldn't trade them for a woman my age ever.

11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill and a black lace bra. Check.  Well, the drill is Matt's... but I do have my own set of pink screwdrivers. :)

12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it.  Every ridiculously expensive thing I own comes from Matt. I am a super-thrifter.  If Goodwill had a customer-preferred card, I would have it.

13. The belief that you deserve it.  No, I don't think I will ever acquire this outlook.  I have seen pieces of our impoverished world, and sometimes I even feel a little guilty when my man splurges on me.  But I know it is probably healthier to just be thankful.

14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30.  Check-ish. Skin care, definitely is down.  Exercize is always subject to change, as it has been my entire SAHM career.  I am pretty much dedicated to 3o minutes of something-or-other a day,

15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship and all those other facets of life that do get better.  A definite check.  I really can't compare myself to others in this arena, as some would see my puny college education and limited years in the workforce as unworthy of even mentioning, while I feel perfectly satisfied with it for the time being.  As far as relationship goes, if you have ever read any of my blog, you know that man is pretty much stuck with me. :)

{stay tuned for part II. :)}



No comments:

Post a Comment