Thursday, June 6, 2013

Homeschool Diaries: Favorites Books {momma's picks}

 

The Boy Who Drew Birds




A Nest Full of Eggs




What Makes a Bird a Bird



The Ugly Duckling



Horton Hatches the Egg



Even an Ostrich Needs a Nest

As Spring transitions to Summer, we have had a yard full of beautiful birds. This has molded my book choices lately.  I want the boys to not only take an interest in the world around them, but to have a decent amount of understanding about how that world works.  I have tried to balance my choices between fun and truly educational.  All of these books are really great, and I enjoyed them as much as the Jedi did {which is saying something, since I am seriously critical of the majority of children's books I find these days}

Making it real: feather art {nothing complex; just paper, glue, and a bag of feathers from the craft section}; bird watching binoculars & sketchbooks w/ colored pencils {we went to the park for this, because ducks are a little slower and easier to draw, but we did get some red and blue shapes in there too. :)}; observe the parts of an egg w/ hard boiled egg; make simple bird feeders with peanut butter, paper towel rolls and seeds, and set out a crate full of scraps of fabric and yarn for the birds to pick from for their nests {they actually do!!  I don't know why I was skeptical.}; we used the Birds of North America memory game for counting, and emphasized "bird words" when doing our letter work.  

**NOTE: All of the titles are hyperlinked to Amazon, if you are interested in adding any of them to your collection. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment