Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Homeschool Diaries: Numbers


I have recently learned that I work well with themes.  The thing about homeschooling is that you not only can adjust your lessons towards your children's strengths, but you can do the same for yourself.  The thought of being a parent-teacher can be so daunting.  I have known several women who do it so professionally, and with so many children that I just can't see myself fitting that role.

But that isn't my role to fit... we don't look alike, us homeschool moms.  We don't need to be carbon copies of each other.  Sure I want to provide my kids with the best education possible, but I can't do that if I am not both prepared and excited about teaching them.

I do not get excited about workbooks, and reviewing curriculum, and scheduling.  I do them anyway because I need to.  But when I found there was a way for me to do it, and want to... it really changed me as a teacher.

Once I gave myself the freedom to work in a way I enjoyed, our school time was much better. It was really through trial and error that I learned I enjoy themes.  I was randomly picking books at the library for the boys and making a big production of them with costumes and homemade puppets in our living room.  I was getting field guides about plants and birds and spending the day outdoors with binoculars and mason jars.  Then I thought... why am I not doing this with their school work?

Having a daily theme has helped me have more fun scheduling, and move smoother from one activity to the next. While preschool only takes about an hour a day in the Waggy house, I have to keep it entertaining so it doesn't melt into chaos, and I really have a hard time doing that if I am bored myself.

Right now, we do school five days a week with the themes of:

1)Numbers
2)Alphabet
3)Concept
4)Animal
5)Health and Fitness. 

I thought this week I would blog our work, for my own future benefit.

 


Youtube has great counting songs. I guess I never thought of youtube as a homeschool resource before, but in a vague attempt to google some music for today's lesson, I found a great variety. Annnnd... apparently several songs in a row will play. So I got a good 15 minute jam session of "Count to 20" songs.


I really recommend this little book, Infinity and Me. Not only did each page appeal to my artsy side, it really gave a good visual approach to the concept of infinity, and helped us stretch those counting muscles as we tried to wrap our brains around some big big numbers.

There was an opportunity here to combine tangible numbers with the more illusive concept of things that stretch on and on forever.  Bible verses: 1 Chron. 16:34, 1 Jn. 5:11, Job 11:7, Ps. 145:3 all point to infinite/eternal traits of God. 


Adding and subtracting using some buttons and a muffin tin.  Nothing fancy.


Lastly, comes tracing and writing.  These little workbooks are great, and you can find them pracitically anywhere. They have tracing exercizes, and matching games, etc. Nothing complicated, but helpful.

Today we covered: Art and Music, Story Time, New Word: Infinity, New Bible Verses, Review Concept: Forever/ Eternity, Writing, and Counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment